CSE Undergraduate Advising Information - Dr. Manikas
Undergraduate Advising for Spring 2019 Course Enrollment
The enrollment period for Spring 2019 courses is November 5 - 23, so it’s time to sign up for advising appointments. Please contact Ms. Minton in the CSE office to schedule an appointment with me. I will allot advising appointments each week, with appointments to start Oct. 17, until the end of the enrollment period.
When contacting Ms. Minton for an advising appointment, please do so in person or by phone 214-768-3083. This will help her make sure that she has the updated availability when scheduling your appointment.
If you are graduating in Spring 2019, and you know exactly what courses you need to take to fulfill your degree requirements, you can send me that course list in an email to verify. You do not need to sign up for an advising appointment. It is your responsibility to double-check all of the degree requirements and UC requirements to ensure that you have completed them or will have completed them by Spring 2019. If you have questions, you are welcome to sign up for an advising appointment.
Each appointment slot will be 20 minutes long, so please bring the necessary materials to your appointment and be on time. The necessary materials are:
- Printout (hard copy) of your DPR (Degree Progress Report) – the FULL version, not the summary. (from my.SMU)
- In my.SMU, select Academic Requirements
- In the Requirements page, select the “view report as PDF” button
- Proposed schedule (list of courses) for Spring 2019
- Your progress in the UC
Procedure for addressing enrollment issues (e.g. closed classes or instructor permission required)
While enrolling for classes, you may have issues such as a closed class or instructor permission required. To resolve these issues, please use the following procedure:
- For closed classes, please contact the Department Coordinator for the specific class (see contact list below).
- For instructor permission, please contact the instructor of the course to obtain permission, then ask the instructor to contact the appropriate Department Coordinator and ask that you be given permission to enroll in the course.
For either case, please make sure that you include your SMU ID number in all correspondence – the Department Coordination will need your ID number to allow enrollment permission in my.SMU.
- CSE COURSES: Beth Minton, email@example.com, 8-3083
(EXCEPTIONS: CSE 4340 is taught by STAT, CSE 3365 is taught by MATH. Please contact the appropriate Department Coordinator for issues regarding these courses)
- STAT COURSES: Sheila Crain, firstname.lastname@example.org, 8-2441
- MATH COURSES: Liz Berry, email@example.com, 8-2506
- PHYS COURSES: Lacey Breaux, LJPorter@smu.edu, 8-2495
- For other departments, please contact Beth Minton and she can refer you to the appropriate Department Coordinator
Information for my CSE students who will graduate Fall 2018
In addition to the general message sent to all Lyle degree candidates from the Undergraduate Advising
Office, there is SPECIFIC information for CSE degree candidates:
If you are graduating and have received your Lyle graduation degree paperwork, please do the
- Complete the forms as instructed in the Lyle Advising e-mail. Forms that are not completed
correctly will not be processed.
- Print out a FULL copy of your DPR (not the summary)
- Put the DPR and your degree forms in a brown envelope (you can find these under the CSE
Faculty mailbox), put the envelope in my mailbox (MANIKAS)
- I will send you an e-mail with further instructions after the forms have been reviewed and
The deadline for getting these forms to me is October 10, 2018.
Useful Links and Documents
Last updated 2018 Nov 13