CS Undergraduate Advising Information - Dr. Theodore Manikas

Department name change from CSE to CS effective January 1, 2019

The Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) is now the Department of Computer Science (CS) as of Jan. 1, 2019. Dr. Frederick Chang is the new CS Department Chair.

The Computer Engineering program is now in the new Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), which was formerly Electrical Engineering (EE). I am currently in communication with the Lyle Undergraduate Advising Office to determine how this will affect my current B.S. Computer Engineering students. I will post more information as it becomes available.

Information for my CSE students who will graduate Spring 2019

Instructions pending as of Jan. 17, 2019 - I am awaiting specifics from the Lyle Undergraduate Advising office. However, I expect the general procedure will be similar to the procedure for Fall 2018 graduation (see below).

Procedure for addressing enrollment issues (e.g. closed classes or instructor permission required)

While enrolling for classes, you may have issues such as a closed class or instructor permission required. To resolve these issues, please use the following procedure:

  1. For closed classes, please contact the Department Coordinator for the specific class (see contact list below).
  2. For instructor permission, please contact the instructor of the course to obtain permission, then ask the instructor to contact the appropriate Department Coordinator and ask that you be given permission to enroll in the course.

For either case, please make sure that you include your SMU ID number in all correspondence – the Department Coordination will need your ID number to allow enrollment permission in my.SMU.

Department Coordinators

Information for my CSE students who will graduate Fall 2018

In addition to the general message sent to all Lyle degree candidates from the Undergraduate Advising Office, there is SPECIFIC information for CSE degree candidates: If you are graduating and have received your Lyle graduation degree paperwork, please do the following:
  1. Complete the forms as instructed in the Lyle Advising e-mail. Forms that are not completed correctly will not be processed.
  2. Print out a FULL copy of your DPR (not the summary)
  3. Put the DPR and your degree forms in a brown envelope (you can find these under the CSE Faculty mailbox), put the envelope in my mailbox (MANIKAS)
  4. I will send you an e-mail with further instructions after the forms have been reviewed and signed.

The deadline for getting these forms to me is October 10, 2018.

Useful Links and Documents

Last updated 2019 Jan 17