Department of Defense (DoD) Cyber Scholarship Program
(CySP) - Applications for Academic Year 2021-22
The scholarship application cycle is now open for the 2021-22 academic year for eligible SMU students. Applications are due Friday, January 29, 2021 - please review the following information and application instructions.
The purposes of the DoD Cybersecurity Scholarship Program (DoD CySP) are to recruit and retain well-qualified personnel for work in the vital cybersecurity field and to cultivate continuing capacity for cybersecurity workforce development at select institutions of higher learning (CAEs) throughout the United States.
As directed by the Secretary of Defense, the DoD CIO has delegated authority and responsibility to establish scholarship and institutional grant programs to achieve these purposes, including the authority to conduct civilian employee recruitment for these purposes. This program is executed by the National Information Assurance Education and Training Program (NIETP) of the National Security Agency (NSA) on behalf of the DoD.
The DoD CySP has a one-year duration. Scholarships include the following:
- Tuition and applicable fees
- Required textbooks and lab supplies
- Annual stipend for room and board
- Must be a US citizen
- Must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment at Southern Methodist University
- Must have completed (or by August of award year will have completed) at a minimum the first two years of an undergraduate degree program and be eligible to
- Begin either the third or fourth year of an undergraduate degree program, or
- Begin the first or second year of a Master’s degree program, or
- Pursue doctoral studies
- Must be pursuing a course of study and/or have a declared major in one of the scientific, technical, or managerial disciplines related to cybersecurity or with a concentration in cybersecurity
- Undergraduate students must maintain 3.2/4.0 and graduate students must maintain 3.5/4.0 overall GPA. Students must also complete the program of study.
- In return for scholarship assistance the student must commit to work for the DoD (job assignments will be made by the DoD), as a civilian employee for at least one calendar year for each year of scholarship assistance, after the student graduates.
- Students will also be required to serve in internship positions, if timing permits, with the DoD organizations during the time they are receiving scholarship support until they complete the course of study provided for by the scholarship. These internships will be arranged by the DoD to occur during the summer or other breaks between school terms, as appropriate to the individual’s circumstances and the institution’s calendar.
- Awardees will NOT be able to obtain any other scholarships/fellowships except for small achievement awards.
Application Process and Materials
The following links contain the application forms and instructions. Please let me know of your intent to submit an application by Friday, Jan. 22, 2021, so that I can create a Box folder for you to upload your application materials. All materials must be uploaded by the end of the day Friday, Jan. 29, 2021 for your application to be processed. You may contact me at Dr. Manikas.
The application form is a fillable PDF form - digital signatures are acceptable. You will need to submit the following documents in addition to your application form:
- Official transcript(s) – please have these sent directly to me Dr. Manikas
- Resume – please use the provided resume template
- List of awards, honors, and distinctions
- Two (2) letters of reference – please ask your recommenders email these directly to me Dr. Manikas with the SUBJECT: DoD CySP 2021 Reference Letter for (your name)
The application form includes specific instructions for each of these items, as well as the general application form items. As stated above, please feel free to contact me (email link) if you have any questions.
As stated above, the application deadline is Friday, Jan. 29, 2021. Please have your transcripts and letters of reference sent to me by the deadline, and upload all other application materials to your Box folder by this deadline.
2021 Jan 10