Hobbies and General Interests
Music is what I enjoy the most.
I especially love Shostakovich's music
among my favorite composers/compositions,
attending concerts and listening to recordings.
Other things that I enjoy doing include:
to different places to see/experience different scenery/people/culture.
I love many of the natural wonders in Canada and US,
as well as lively cities and historical sites in Europe
and my native China.
Chinese classics (prose in literary Chinese, poetry, etc.),
fictions (especially 19th century Russian/French/English realism/romanticism),
kids books because of my daughters Christine and
and other things (and music books,
Oh, yes, it's hard for me to start a day without reading a
newspaper (but not USA Today!) first.
I used to subscribe to Stereo Review, Motor Trends, and the like,
but I only regularly read/browse these days New Yorker and National Geographic.
of all kinds, including
- serious dramas such as Little Big Man and Crime and Misdemeanor,
- light and not-so-light comedies such as Dr. Strangelove,
Purple Rose of Cairo, and Sweet and Low Down,
- foreign films such as Les Enfant de Paradise,
Farewell My Concubine, and Ran,
- musicals such as Percival (Eric Rohmer) and West Side Story,
- kids movies such as Beauty&Beast, Lilo&Stitch, and Shrek,
- horrors such as Psycho and Misery,
- mysteries such as Rear Window and Silence of the Lamb,
- and, entertaining blockbusters such as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and
I enjoy many different types of food,
love the selection/diversity of restaurants in
Sports & recreation:
I love hiking/camping in mountains and woods.
Unfortunately, we don't have mountains around Dallas.
I tried fishing a couple of times,
but didn't catch anything, so lost interest in it.
I like playing some card/board/computer games.
I love watching football and soccer (every 4 years at world cup time!),
and baseball too.
Also tried to watch hockey when I was in Toronto,
but the bleeding-month/missing-teeth turned me cold.
Prepared by Jeff Tian
Last update March 13, 2007.
Back to Jeff Tian's home page.